Founded in 1919, the Augusta Garden Club was one of the charter members of the Garden Club of Virginia, which was organized in May 1920. Seven years later, the club joined the Garden Club of America, and it continues to enjoy a close affiliation with both organizations. Three members, Emily Smith (1928-30), Lee Cochran (1972-74) and Deedy Bumgardner (2004-06) have served as the GCV President and several members have held other positions within the Garden Club of Virginia and the Garden Club of America.
The purpose of the club has remained unchanged: to “stimulate the knowledge and love of gardening.” Its members include avid gardeners with a depth of horticultural knowledge, creative and talented flower arrangers, and leaders in the field of conservation. Following the tradition of its founders, members delight in sharing knowledge with each other through flower arranging classes, flower shows, horticulture exhibits, educational programs open to the public, and club programs.
Over the years, the Augusta Garden Club has strongly promoted civic planting and beautification by participating in gardening and landscaping projects in Staunton and Augusta County.
A few of the past projects are:
- Ramsey’s Draft Nature Trail
- Gardens at the former Kings Daughters Hospital
- Landscaping and memorial garden at the former Staunton Public Library
- Landscape plan and trees planted at the current Staunton Public Library
- Garden at the Augusta County Court House
- Honorary Barbara Grant Garden at the Underpass
- Gate Flanders Memorial Garden at Greenthumb Park
- September 11, 2001 Memorial Trees at the Staunton Fire House
- Monetary support for the city of Staunton Landscape Plan
- GCA Centennial Tree Project, Amelanchiers (serviceberry trees) planted in Gypsy Hill Park and Frontier Culture Museum
- Installation of cigarette receptacles in Gypsy Hill Park